For your computer security you can set start up password. Whenever you turn on PC, Windows ask you to enter password. Then you enter password and get access to the desktop. And all of us know that it is a normal process.
But, if your forget your password? Then what?
You might think experts can easily break it and have access to the PC! And as you're not expert so enter the DVD in the drive and start installing Windows again. And you lose all of your files and folders that is stored on installation drive.
But you can avoid such type of hazard very easily. I don't advise you to write down your pass in the diary or calender. Because this is not safe. Just spend few minutes to create a password reset disk. It's safe and easy. And there is no risk. Follow the steps below:
- First make sure you've connected your USB Flash Drive in the port. You don't need to format the disk. And your files will not be affected.
- Then go to the User Accounts from Control Panel.
- Now hit on the Create a password reset disk option from the left panel.
- You'll see Forgotten Password Wizard. Click Next.
- Select the drive that is to be used as reset disk. Click Next.
- Enter the current password if any. Otherwise leave it blank.
- Click next and wait for the processing. Click Next again. Then Finish.
The disk is ready for use. Now open your USB drive and look for a 2 KB file named userkey.psw. This is the file that can help you to reset the password. Don't delete it.
Now restart your PC and try to access by entering a wrong password. You'll see the Reset Password option. Click on it and type a new password. And from now you can use this password.
You can change your password as many time as you wish by the same disk.
|Click to enlarge image|
Caution: Anyone can change your password if he knows about your reset disk. So make sure that unauthorized person is not familiar with your reset disk.
NB: This system has been tested on Windows 7 and 8. And it will work only on that PC from where the disk is created.
Fun Fact: You've to create this disk before forgetting password. After forgetting this password, you can't create this disk.
Stay with Marks PC Solution to get more interesting IT topics!